Thursday, December 18, 2008

Woolindra

“Woolindra”

An exhibition about Currie Harbour, King Island by Bridget Levy

I must go down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale’s way where the wind’s like a whetted knife;

And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trek’s over.
‘Sea Fever’ by John Masefield
This exhibition is dedicated to Maitie

January 9th – February 6th 2009

King Island Cultural Centre
Currie Harbour

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artists Statement
King Island is in my history. My family left England on the Tanui in 1886 and after a few false starts, arrived on King Island as seafarers and free settlers to take up land in 1895 - with their mother Elizabeth McKie Bowling. There were 5 boys and 2 girls. Fred Bowling the second eldest son was my grandfather and with my grandmother Ella farmed the Yellow Rock country for 25 years until soldier settlement took over. My Grandmother talked of the adventure and hence my love and fascination for the island - the tremendous courage, the loneliness, the pathos, the coastal hills, the sea, the amazing history and the pride. I try to do justice to the island and my family through my paintings. My present paintings are my interpretation of the King Island fishing boats – their individuality, comradeship, busyness and great character and pathos and of course the red Tahui 3.

Artists Profile
Bridget completed a four Year Diploma of Painting (1957-1960) at Swinburne Art School with Honours. She was the last student to go through the Arts School and Laurie Pendlebury was the Senior Lecturer at that time.

Bridget exhibited her work in Tasmania in late 1960 and managed a gallery in Mornington Peninsula until 1968.

Bridget and her husband decided to move to the peace and tranquillity of King Island after her husband became ill eleven years ago. Here Bridget has found the inspiration to paint again and this exhibition is for Maitie.


No comments: